Friday, September 25, 2009

If I had a million minutes...

I think I might try to write a few books. Not because I think I could write them well (I don't have the raw talent for that, which is why I work in the business world), but because I think it would be fun.

The first few books I would write:

From Deacon to Dating: A Guide for LDS Teenagers. I would write this in a style much different than, say, a John Bytheway book. There'd be a lot of lists. Practical pointers. Tips. I think the style would be like a modern men's magazine (not a dirty men's magazine, but something like Esquire, GQ or ESPN:The Magazine).

A satire of LDS romantic fiction/anything that Stephanie Meyer writes. Self-explanatory. Have you read that stuff? Someone needs to respond.

I've Been Everywhere, Man A book about truck drivers. There's gotta be some cool stories floating out there. Heck, I could even write a memoir. Quit my job as an accountant and drive truck for a year across the country. Learn Trucker Talk. Freight turnips and trusses and plastic combs across the continent. If at all possible, the book would have a foreword by C.W. McCall (unless he's dead).

5 comments:

Tiffanyann said...

When we were driving across the country we stopped somewhere where truck drivers could shower. They would call numbers every 15 min. (number 14 your shower is ready) It was pretty funny, so while we were eating taco bell truckers were taking a nice warm shower.

Carissa said...

LOVE it Dave! Please, respond to Stephanie Meyer. Really. One of the "hang-outs" when I was going to school in VA, was the truck stop 10 miles up the highway. Not kidding, it really was about the coolest place to be. There was nothing in that town. Let me tell you, some interesting things you will see in that place...

Anonymous said...

I love your book ideas! Somehow i don't see you as a truck driver, which would probably be why the book would be so awesome!

Raymon said...

I please be your editor?!

Megan said...

I totally think you should go for it, Dave! Love all the ideas--especially the truck driver one. Maybe because it seems weird to think of truck drivers expressing their innermost thoughts and memories in novel format. I'm officially adding you to my blog list.