Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day

I am exhausted from today, but life is exhilerating (sp?). But am I spending my time effectively? "It is not enough to be busy--so are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about."
---H.D. Thoreau

Victor Hugo wrote, "The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved."

Does Valentine's Day help towards that conviction? It can be a fun holiday, but I prefer the small sacrifices, heartfelt thoughts, and charitable kindness that surprises you when you least expect it.

From George William Childs:

Do not keep the alabaster boxes of your love and tenderness sealed up until your friends are dead. Fill their lives with sweetness. Speak approving, cheering words while their ears can hear them, and while their hearts can be thrilled and made happier by them.

On that note, I know you read this on occaision mom, so I just want to quickly tell you how much I love you. You are such a good mother, and now that I am out and about associating with girls, you make it very difficult for me to ever find a celestial star with your wonderful qualities. Have a million dollar day!


"And the moral of that is--"Oh, tis love, tis love, that makes the world go round."
--Lewis Carroll

3 comments:

Nellie said...

Another "Wow" Dave, You are scoring up some frozen tortelias at Costco! Dad did the dishes for me and left a Valentines heart on the dishwasher. He fixed my car radio and left a Valentines heart on the radio knob for me. Now you have posted a heartfelt tribute that made all the nausea of pregnancy (I put that in for Jamie) well, well worth it. I also love the amazing poetry and quotes that you have gathered (where do you find these). I would like to put them all over the house. I couldn't ask for a better Valentines Day!!! Thankyou! and remember....Out of the dreainess into the cheariness come we in weariness home!!! It will be fun to see you this weekend.

Amy_T said...

Happy Valentines day dave! you're one of the best writers, most entertaining and hard working guys I know. you're my inspiration, haha and i really mean it:) have a good day
love ya

Kristenjane said...

David, You are such a sweet guy! What a great son you are! Happy Valentines day! The girl that gets you is a very lucky girl!