Saturday, March 8, 2008

Vision



On my mission in Japan, we had a zone conference where President Whitesides showed us a picture of Mt. Fuji, and shared a story about the first time he saw the mountain. Mt. Fuji, while certainly not as tall as the world's tallest mountains, is stunning because it rises from almost sea level to it beautiful peak--it can be seen from miles and miles away.

He encouraged us to create a vision for our area, and also where we wanted to be in five years, ten years, and so on.

Before I came to BYU, I made a list of a "vision" of what I wanted to accomplish from my education and experience.

Maintain 3.9 GPA
Find a good job
Learn how to be more social
Become active in student clubs and leadership
Travel somewhere in the summer
Lose 7 pounds
Write for a BYU publication (newspaper etc)
Get Real Estate license (if fees are reasonable)
Get into the accounting program
Get an internship for a newspaper/publication or an accounting firm for the summer
Finish reading the Book of Mormon
Get married
Go camping at least 8 times
Keep a scripture journal
Be able to run 4 miles
Help Jake get into BYU
Keep contact with the missionaries I teach and missionary friends


Ok--these are from a list I copy and pasted from my journal my freshman year. I have more, but I didn't want to share smaller or embarrassing things. Looking at it now, I'm surprised at how many of these things I've been able to accomplish. I'm not married, of course, and I've lost my scripture journal so I need to get that back up and running again, (oh...and Jake isn't in BYU...yet) but I look back at the years I've had at BYU so far with gratitude. I've learned so much, and i still have much to learn in my last spring and summer semesters. Whether it's in Provo, or London, I'm sure that I will be able to learn the things I need to that will prepare me for my career and my new vision for the next five years of my life.

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
-Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Nellie said...

Hey good news! Carson just got accepted into BYU and he was pretty identical to Jake in grade point and ACT scores. So, at last maybe one more of your goals will be reached. I am amazed at what you have accomplished. Especially the social part. You are keeping Dad and I busy just trying to accomodate your social. The dinner will be 5 star tonight....*****